Sunday, April 8, 2007

Dangerous cities, yet cool cities.

What are some cities you can think of that are pretty dangerous/mysterious, yet very interesting and you would like to visit?

One I can think of is New Orleans. The city just seems so incredible and intresting, yet crime infested.
I believe the city has the highest murder rate in the United States. It also is filled with beggars, panhandlers, con artists, theives, pickpockets..etc from what I hear. I also hear that if you walk certain blocks out of the French Quarter...that your have a pretty nice chance of losing something of value, perhaps your life. New Orleans is also famous for its above ground cemetaries. When I visit there, I was planning on going by myself and touring the infamous cemetaries (cities of the dead as they call them)...which is a bad idea from what I read. Theives and muggers actually hide inside the cemetary, inbetween the above ground crypts waiting to strike.



voodoo
markings on a famous grave

There are also people who go to these cemeteries to practice voodoo or pay respects to dead priestesses. The city is also has a history of hauntings...mainly due to it being very old, the site of historic battles, and the slaves with their voodoo rituals. Oh yeah, there is also a history of pirates in the city.
"Pirates Alley"


if anyone else knows any weird or creepy things about N.O., please post. Thanks.>

No comments: