Wednesday, April 18, 2007

New Orleans..the next Galveston?

Everyone talking about the death and abandonment of New Orleans is really depressing. This city is too unique, has too much history, beauty and character just to be a memory. I dont believe for a second that the proud residents will allow this to happen.

Alright, now that I got that off my chest...

Will New Orleans become like Galveston, Texas? As all of you know, Galveston before the hurricane hit in 1900 was a major city on the rise. I have heard that if it wasnt destroyed, it would have been the current day Houston--with the economy, population, and skyline. Of course they rebuilt Galveston, but it never was the same--much like N.O. is going to be like. However, despite losing population and its prestige, it remains a very nice smaller town with alot to do and see. I remember watching a show hosted by George Foreman and it looked like a very cool place.

Can New Orleans become like this? It will undoubtably lose its major city status but it can retain its character, architecture, parks, etc. It still can be a major tourist destination because in no way do I think Mardi Gras, Jazz Fest and all that is no more. I can kind of forsee it being like a vibrant Charleston or Savannah...each historic, beautiful, hurricane prone southern coastal cities. Like I said above, New Orleans residents are very proud of their city and will not want it to be just a memory.

Also, with New Orleans stature probally diminished...how will it affect the other southern cities? I figure these poor evacuees will never be able to afford living in the city again. Will they stay in places like Houston, San Antonio, or perhaps fuel growth in Baton Rouge, Shreveport, Mobile, or Atlanta? I was reading a thread on SSP.com that dicussed if Baton Rouge will become a greater city because of this. Do you guys think that N.O. businesss will move here,along with the people?>

No comments: