Tuesday, April 24, 2007

low-income housing and racism

I am working on a project for my Urban Research class where we have 15-20 pages to pose a research question, not a research paper - - we are not supposed to answer the question, only present evidence. I was hoping you could help me find some holes in this. If you are in an Urban Studies program or have read Hamnett, Swanstrom, Sugrue or H.L. Taylor it would help a lot. But I welcome all opinions though this is US focused.

My question: Is low-income housing a stepping-stone or a dead end.

I will be using evidence from mortgage practices, red-lining of African American neighborhoods in Detroit and Chicago, loan trends and investment. I hope to outline an argument for my senoir work, that low-income housing can be used as a mechanism of institutional racism. A sort of race specific trap where anyone can get in but only certain races can get out, those kept in are overwhelmingly African-Americans or Latinos and have paths of egress blocked by CCIs or the unspoken acceptance of red-lining by banks, realtors, mortgage groups, community groups and city government. This is getting long, I will continue if there is any response. I already have all of the academic and peer-review sources I need but I was hoping I could get some advice on how to present it. I submit on friday!>

No comments: